Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Countdown.



The countdown begins. 72 hours until I must finish 15 giant color boards for presentation to New York City head city planner, Amanda Burden. I must convince her of many things regarding the streetscapes around Columbia's giant expansion into Harlem. I've had an absolute blast designing this thing and now to my favorite part........the race to the finish. This is the best part of the process. It's a game of speed and single focus concentration. I get to ignore everything else in my life and pour everything I have into a representation of 3-dimensional space in 2-dimensions. The office has given me several people to keep busy on graphics while I continue developing the design. I have already embedded a few little secrets in the design, as I always try to do. As the hours wear on the energy rises. As I said before, this is my Disney Land.........

3 comments:

Driftwood said...

Secrets?

Like that time I included a shot of Spider-Man web-slinging through the Edmonds streetscape?

JB said...

Meh. This isn't as cool as the Official Countdown Clock for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Plus when the Olympics are over it'll count the days *since* the Olympics. So it's not just a countdown clock - it's a countup clock!

As for the design, VANOC CEO John Furlong had this to say:

“This clock is a stunning example of what’s possible when you tap into local creativity and talent ... With only 36 months to go until Games time, it serves as a compelling, constant reminder of how close we are to welcoming the world to Vancouver, Whistler and Canada in 2010."

A local critic responded with this rejoinder:

“It’s really big,” said Kassie Kelly Charles, who attended [the unveiling] with her parents. “It looks like an ice cube.”

That's no joke - that's from the official press release.

Fucking Olympics!

Anne Trumble said...

oh god. the hours i spent in my short professional career in vancouver working on olympic projects. blech. blech!