
Two days ago, I boarded a plane for island #5. It's the 5th island I've spent significant time on, leading me to believe I have a previously unidentified thing for islands. Vancouver, Cuba, Japan, Manhattan, and now Madagascar - #5. Islands.

I packed a plastic crate I was given as my only luggage, with lot of survival items and everything made of cloth in its very own zip lock bag in order to keep clothing dry in the stifling tropical climate. Of course my carefully packed crate was lost somewhere between Paris and Madagascar - that long 13 hour flight over the entire continent of Africa. Perhaps some Somalians are enjoying a bottle of Dramamine and someone in Mozambique has new Smartwool socks. Regardless, I will find out tomorrow if the next 5 weeks will be spent in the same outfit, when the twice weekly flight from France lands.
Meanwhile, we've been staging at the project team office in stupendous Antananarivo, preparing for our departure on a 20 hour land cruiser ride to where we will be working for the next 5 weeks. The Malagasy team is amazing and impassioned to bring about change to their country and one of a kind landscape.

No comments:
Post a Comment